KABUL – At least 15 Taliban militants were killed during the latest army’s offensive in Afghanistan’s southern province of Kandahar, the country’s Ministry of Defense confirmed on Friday.
“Fifteen Taliban terrorist group’s fighters were killed and seven others wounded in the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) targeted strikes in surrounding areas of Arghandab district, Kandahar province,” the ministry said in a statement.
The ANDSF forces were supported by the Afghan Air Force while pounding Taliban positions, the statement said, adding some amount of militants’ weapons and ammunition were also destroyed during the offensive late on Thursday. The security forces also cleared a large pocket of land from militants in Arghandab besides discovering and defusing 30 Taliban’s landmines and improvised roadside bombs in the area.
Security situation has been improving in Kandahar, the former stronghold of Taliban, over the past months, as security forces have conducted search and cordon operations across the province. But the militants attack government interests in the province from time to time. The militant group has not responded to the report so far.